WHO Classifies Global Ebola Epidemic Risk as 'Low' but Warns of High Danger in Central Africa

The World Health Organization (WHO) considers the risk of global spread of Ebola 'low' but warns that the danger is 'high' for Central Africa. Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus reported 51 confirmed cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo, along with hundreds of suspected cases and deaths. Uganda has recorded two cases, and an American citizen was transferred to Germany. The European Union sees the risk on its territory as 'very low.'

The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified the risk of the Ebola epidemic, currently active in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), spreading globally as 'low.' In a press conference on Wednesday, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated that the danger is 'high' for Central Africa but 'low' worldwide. The statement came after a meeting of the WHO emergency committee, which concluded that the situation does not yet meet the criteria for a 'pandemic emergency.'

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu in the DRC. 'We know the true magnitude is much larger,' Ghebreyesus said, citing nearly 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths. Uganda also reported two confirmed cases in Kampala, including one death, and an American citizen who worked in the DRC tested positive and was transferred to Germany.

The WHO declared on Sunday that the situation constitutes a public health emergency of international concern, the second-highest alert level under the International Health Regulations (IHR). The European Union, in turn, stated that the risk of an outbreak on its territory is 'very low' and that there are no indications of additional measures being needed.

However, the response to the 17th Ebola outbreak in the DRC faces logistical and security challenges. The hospital in Rwampara, near Bunia, the capital of Ituri, only began receiving isolation equipment on Monday. Local nurses reported a lack of full protective equipment until last Friday. The WHO announced the delivery of 12 tons of medical supplies to the affected regions, with additional supplies stored in warehouses of the organization Doctors Without Borders (MSF) in Bunia.

Trish Newport, MSF emergency coordinator, described the situation as 'desperate,' with health centers overflowing with suspected cases. 'Every center we contacted said, 'We are full of suspected cases. We have no more space.' That gives an idea of the current chaos,' she said.

There is no vaccine or specific treatment for the Bundibugyo strain of the virus, which is responsible for the current outbreak. Control depends on prevention measures and rapid detection. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio criticized the WHO for having 'reacted a bit late' in identifying the epidemic. Ghebreyesus countered, suggesting that the criticism may reflect 'ignorance of how the IHR works and of WHO's responsibilities.'