Sally Bolton, the first woman to serve as chief executive of the All England Club, will step down after this summer's Wimbledon tournament. The departure was announced on Monday and marks the end of a six-year term that began in 2020, when the tournament was canceled due to the pandemic.
During her tenure, Bolton led significant changes to the tournament, such as the abolition of Middle Sunday — the rest day between the first and second weeks — turning Wimbledon into a 14-day Grand Slam. Last year, she also implemented the Electronic Calling Line, an automated line-calling system that replaced line judges.
“Sally has made an important contribution to the success of the All England Club and Wimbledon over a decade, especially in her six years as chief executive,” said Debbie Jevans, chair of the club. “I am proud of what we have achieved together, especially the return of the tournament after the pandemic. This is a very special institution and I want to see it continue to grow in the coming years,” Bolton said.
Another notable initiative was the expansion of the All England Club, which acquired adjacent land — formerly a golf course — to build 38 tennis courts. The project, however, drew criticism and lawsuits from residents and environmental organizations due to the impact of the construction.
In three weeks, Wimbledon will announce its prize money for 2026, a decision that could prompt mobilization among players, who have threatened a boycott if the Grand Slams do not increase the players' share of revenue.