A case of vaccine refusal in Presidente Franco, Alto Paraná department, has raised the alarm of health authorities about the risks of misinformation. A father refused to immunize his three children — aged four months, 6 and 13 years — against measles, even after intervention by the Council for the Rights of Children and Adolescents (Codeni). On social media, the man stated that he “prefers to die” rather than allow the application of “dubious vaccines.”
The case was initially reported by the Family Health Unit (USF) of the San Miguel neighborhood to Codeni. The director of the Tenth Health Region, Federico Schrodel, lamented the persistence of fear regarding a vaccine that has been on the market for over 40 years and allowed Paraguay to be declared free of measles from 1998 until last year, when an outbreak was recorded in San Pedro. Schrodel attributed the resurgence of the disease to declining vaccination rates and the influence of anti-vaccine movements.
“Measles is extremely contagious, ten times more than chickenpox,” said Schrodel, highlighting that complications can include severe pneumonia and blindness, especially in young children. He also warned about the epidemiological alert in effect in Foz de Yguazú, Brazil, and the advance of cases in neighboring Brazilian states.
Sergio Cetrini, head of the Expanded Immunization Program (PAI) in Alto Paraná, explained that the national follow-up campaign against measles, which began on March 9, was extended until May 29 due to misinformation. He emphasized that repeated refusal by parents may constitute omission of the duty of care, and cases are referred to other institutions only after all attempts at dialogue have been exhausted.
Schrodel also recalled the economic impact of the closure of the Puente de la Amistad during the Covid-19 pandemic, which left thousands unemployed. “We do not want measles to become a threat again to the economy and public health,” he said. He added that Alto Paraná does not have sufficient hospital infrastructure to face an outbreak, with only six or seven beds in pediatric wards.
Lawyer Balbina Almada, from Codeni, criticized the father's stance, who portrayed himself as a victim and announced possible complaints. She stated that he could be prosecuted for breach of duty of care and, if the children contract the disease, he could face more serious criminal charges.